Monday, June 18, 2012

HOCKEY: Vijayanathan's memoirs launched

THE book launch of the Memoirs of Mr Hockey by Datuk G. Vijayanathan, was officiated by Tun Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

.
Tun Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid (left) and Datuk G. Vijayanathan after the launch of the Memoirs of Mr Hockey in Kuala Lumpur yesterday. Pic by Nurul Shafina Jemenon
Viji, as he is popularly known, was the Malaysian Hockey Federation (MHF) secretary for 26 years and also a world top  umpire from 1973-1976.

   He has  also gained fame for umpiring the 1975 Kuala Lumpur World Cup final between India and Pakistan where he awarded the "controversial" goal to India which clinched them the World Cup with a 2-1 score.

   "It is indeed an honour to have served hockey for such a long span, and I dedicate this book, written from my experience in the sport for over six decades, to my late wife of 51 years, Rajaletchmy, and my two daughters," said Viji.

   The 638-page book on his memoirs not only covers his family life, but to a large extent, includes what he learnt, achieved and parted on and off the field.

   The book launch was attended by close to 500 of his friends, as well as hockey players from the 1975 World Cup squad.




Read more: HOCKEY: Vijayanathan's memoirs launched - Other - New Straits Times

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is a great book I read it twice because Mr Hockey was an inspiration for me since I was younger, I could not become a Hockey player, but I became a cost per head agent and his dedication influenced me in who I am now