Tuesday, September 15, 2009

SportCheck: These are painful days for Khairul

Roy Goh

"ONE does the dangdut and the other does the breakdance," quipped Khairul Azman Mohammed as he referred to his two legs.

The former national goalkeeper put his hands behind his right knee and pushed the lower part of his leg forward by an inch or so from his thigh. With his left knee, he moved it from side to side.

But dance is furthest from Khairul's mind as the 41-year-old father of four endures pain everyday.

His right knee does not have any ligaments, tendon or meniscus, key components that links limbs. His left knee is without ligaments and tendon.

Khairul Azman showing his injured knee which has forced him to retire from playing and even from coaching. — PIC: DATU RUSLAN SULAI.
Khairul Azman showing his injured knee which has forced him to retire from playing and even from coaching. — PIC: DATU RUSLAN SULAI.


Just to ease the pain that comes with the condition, Khairul has to go for treatment every two weeks at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kota Kinabalu.

"I guess this is what you get for giving it all you got when it comes to playing the sport you love and not bothering about the consequences," he said.

"Even when I was sitting for my SPM exam, I would hurriedly finish my papers and rush to the field nearby for training.

"That was me in those days, if there was pain on the legs, I would get them bandaged or treated with some massage or even painkillers just to make sure I can play.'

Renowned for his long locks of hair. commanding appearance and booming voice that intimidated many on the field, Khairul's talent and determination had brought him much success internationally.

Khairul started playing for the national juniors in 1985 and by 1991 he was drafted into the senior squad. He also led Pahang to Malaysia Cup success in 1992 and Sabah to the FA Cup title in 1995 and the Premier League crown in 1996. Khairul was named the best goalkeeper in Southeast Asia in 1995.

A towering figure who started his career as a 17-year-old with the Pahang team in 1985, Khairul is now unemployed and depends solely on a monthly pension of RM540 from the Social Security Organisation. He retired prematurely in 2005 after turning out for Sabah whom he first joined in 1995.

"I was already injured before that but I gave it a try and lasted only three games. After that I turned to coaching until last year," said Khairul who now considers Sabah his home.

"I would have continued but I was advised to rest because my knees are becoming more and more painful by the day and I am supposed to go for surgery," he said.


But Khairul, who does not have a regular income and a family to feed, could not afford the RM16,000 needed for the operation to do tendon or ligament replacements.

"The pain is still bearable but if it worsens, I have no choice but to go for surgery," he said.

Khairul now leads a simple and quiet life with his wife Khairiah alias Caren John Bion in Penampang and their child. He has three other children from a previous marriage but they live in Pahang.

"If I can have this surgery, I wish to return to coaching or even contribute to sports development in whatever manner. I will advise young athletes to take care of their health and not end up like me."

Khairul's plight is among those highlighted in the National Athletes Charity Foundation (YAKEB) 1Ringgit 1Malaysia donation drive.

Contributions can be made directly to the Yayasan Kebajikan Atlet Kebangsaan -- Tabung Yakeb (Maybank account No: 564847005696.

Donations can also be made via SMS: Type YAKEB1, YAKEB2, YAKEB5 or YAKEB10 and send to 33898.

Donation boxes are also available at NSTP headquarters in Jalan Riong, Bangsar and branch offices, BSN branches nationwide and Pos Malaysia branches.

For enquiries, contact 03-89964841/4844 or log on to www.yakeb.org.my.

• Watch Bersamamu-Wira Sukan, Anda tetap Di Hati on TV3 at 9.30pm tonight.

No comments: