Monday, June 8, 2009

Cycling: Rosman feeling frustrated

Rosman  last coached the national sprints squad in 2005.
Rosman last coached the national sprints squad in 2005.

FORMER national track cycling sprints coach Rosman Alwi is on the verge of giving up on his dream of making a comeback as a coach unless he makes some headway into the national programme soon.

The 47-year-old former 200m sprint Asian champion has taken up an invitation with the National Sports Institute (NSI) to undergo a sports management and sports science course.

But just what all that will eventually lead to is unclear.

"I'm just attending classes and learning new things to update my knowledge and increase the effectiveness of my coaching," said Rosman yesterday.

"Presently, I'm under pressure to have some assurance of whether I'm wanted or not."
Rosman explained that he has been going through the various modules under the NSI programme, thanks mainly to the discretion of his employers CIMB Bank.

"My employers have been flexible in allowing me to take time off work for the sake of cycling and they have even been supportive of my efforts to do something for cycling by reducing my workload at the bank," he said.

"But I will soon need confirmation on whether there is a future for me in cycling because I do not want to tax my employers too much."

Rosman, who last coached the national sprints squad in 2005, said he had been in contact with national head coach John Beasley but as yet had not received any offers. His last coaching stint was with the Kedah squad which ended two years ago.

As of now, the new cycling programme structure announced by Beasley last month, has just one more vacancy, which is the post of director of development.

Rosman said he wouldn't mind even starting again as coach of a junior squad or being based at any state centre of excellence or academy, so long as his qualifications and over 30 years of experience as a competitive cyclist do not go to waste.

NST

No comments: